Richard Schlesinger: What made that campaign a dumpster fire? The objections resulted in several sidebars, one about a possible conversation Daviet had with Drake and another conversation she had with Englewood police. MAYOR JOHN GATES: I was sitting at my desk one day some time back. During the process of forming a file, Hicks was asked to write comments on newspaper stories and give them to the department. "48 Hours" interviewed Pankey's attorney Anthony Viorst as he was preparing for trial. This is going to be a godly home.". Pankey was charged Monday morning with child abuse resulting in death and abuse of a corpse in the case. Hicks said Pankey, over the years, would bring up Jonelle or react strangely when others did. 48 Hours: Steve Pankey was arrested for the 1984 murder of Jonelle Mathews. The case drew national attention. ANTHONY VIORST: Norris Drake had an interest in young girls who had recently reached puberty, exactly what Jonelle was, exactly. Jim and Gloria Matthews had moved to Greeley just six years earlier, to raise their young daughters Jennifer and Jonelle. After prosecutors finished up their direct examination of Pankeys ex-wife Angela Hicks, defense attorney Anthony Viorst had his chance to speak with the witness on Tuesday. Republican candidate for Governor in Idaho Steve Pankey ran on being a Trump supporter who espoused traditional core values with a biblical and constitutional perspective. He is now on trial for murdering a 12 year old girl. She said a very emotional Pankey walked up Pankey had an interesting next move: he ran for sheriff again. The trial for Steve Pankey, the 70-year-old man accused of kidnapping and murdering 12-year-old Jonelle Matthews in December 1984, began Wednesday with opening statements addressing his obsession with her case, his Aspergers condition and his confessions to involvement and knowledge surrounding her disappearance. By 2002, the divorce was finalized. And then I'd say other things and he'd say, "well, that's bull nobody's going to buy that.". The selection changes often, but if you love good Buying or selling a home is the largest financial investment most people ever make. Steve Pankey allegedly killed a 14-year-old girl from Greeley, Colorado in 1984. Daviet testified Drake went to his mothers house the next day, but he was discussing Jonelles disappearance before that with the Daviet siblings. Deanna Ross: We rode our bikes a lot around town. But Pankey has never been a man with clear answers. He said he has repeatedly told them that he wont speak without his attorney. Drake didnt return home until between the hours of 2-4 a.m., according to her testimony. STEVE PANKEY ["Unfound" podcast]: In 1977, I was a youth pastor at the church. The detective said there was very little record of the investigation. In all, Pankey attempted seven runs for office. The former Colorado man ran for governor in Idaho three times, losing in the primary elections. The trial starts back up at 8:30 a.m. Wednesday with a new witness on the stand. His mother and sister lived across the street from the Matthews home, and he was at his mother's house the night Jonelle was taken. Viorst questioned how Drake knew about Jonelles disappearance that morning, with it being unlikely he contacted his mother after leaving her house that night or before coming upstairs the following morning. DAY 18 | LIVE UPDATES: Witness describes pink, foamy substance found on Tammy Daybells mouth as 911 calls are played in court, High school assistant softball coach charged after allegedly sexually abusing student athlete, Teen accused of fatal rock throwing took picture of victims car as a memento, affidavits say, Two people in custody after morning traffic stop in Idaho Falls ends with car in canal, NWS issues flood warning for river, street department offers sandbags. It's the kind of town realtors like to call "a great place to raise kids.". DA ROBERT MILLER: Describe what happens on December 21 at your house. Richard Schlesinger: Would you let us talk to your client? They never released the information about the rake. Over the phone, Pankey said he was a pastor from a Baptist church. It was agony for Jonelle's mother Gloria, who could no longer hope her daughter would come home. Mayor John Gates: I do. John Gates knows the evidence is circumstantial, but he believes it is as strong as it is strange. According to attorney Anthony Viorst, the person who killed Jonelle was someone she knew. A construction crew found remains while excavating in rural Weld County, which includes Greeley, for a pipeline. Viorst believed it was possible for Drake to have left directly after the show ended to commit the crimes against Jonelle. Viorst asked if Pankeys behavior changed. But boy, just the floodgates opened up for both of us. Pankey was arrested for the kidnapping and murder of Jonelle in Oct. 2020. The only physical evidence were those footprints in the fresh snow. Or was he one that just surrounded himself with strange, bizarre behavior for years? But Jonelle's family and friends could only attract that kind of attention for so long. I believe in him, Barr said just before stating she doesnt think her brother is guilty of Jonelles murder. I offered to take a polygraph. Jonelle's father Jim says the fast-breaking news about Pankey surprised him. He testified that in the past he had lied about his knowledge of the case. He was called to the scene. As the trial proceeded, Viorst questioned Hicks about the amount of cars the family had over the years, as well as how many guns Pankey had in his possession. He told that if his Republicans gain control of the 56-year-old Lord David Frost shocked the British people after his sudden departure from his position as the Brexit minister. And one of the times he ran for governor was a real dumpster fire. But the District Attorney's Office felt they had enough evidence to go to trial. With no real evidence of what happened to the 12-year-old, the case went cold. to some extent, we're going to just have to face that. So, the defense clearly has to prove, yes, he's an admitted liar but he's not lying now. Just like that, Darla lost her childhood friend. He was the janitor. But Pankey used to say he was close friends with the pastor. Rochelle Davy, formerly known as Rochelle Baxley, was with Jonelle Matthews on the bus the night she disappeared. Hes my brother, and I love him, she said with a smile. Mayor Gates thinks there's plenty of evidence against Pankey. During Olsons time as an investigator at the DAs office, he testified he received three letters from Pankey, but told Wells he made no reports on this. That was our sign that she made it inside and everything's fine. Jim Matthews: I just kept telling him, I said, "Listen, I'm telling you the truth. The attorney also told her she had to say what she reported to Olson in their 1989 interview while testifying on Wednesday, to create reasonable doubt in this case. Mayor John Gates: I remember that night like it was yesterday. As Pankey faces conviction, Viorst argues there is evidence that points to Drake, who is now deceased, as the culprit in kidnapping and killing Jonelle. "[T]here's no indication that he committed this murder, no indication that he had anything to do with burying the body. If that's the theory of the defense, did Pankey's time on the stand help him or hurt him? Kelly Werthmann and others covering the trial had never heard the name Norris Drake before, butunlike PankeyDrake had been questioned by police about Jonelle's disappearance. He was a person who sure was interested in the case. Patti Aronofsky is the senior producer. On the night Jonelle went missing, Pankey said, he was home with his then-wife. Fred Smith knows real estate. On July 23, 2019, the remains of Jonelle Matthews were discovered by an excavation crew digging a pipeline in a rural area southeast of Greeley, Colorado. After hearing testimony from multiple witnesses, Steven Pankey took the stand. Pankey said he left Greeley in 1987 and hasnt been back to Colorado since. After Pankey left home, she said she was close with him, but they didnt remain in contact. He said his mother allegedly said multiple sets of shoe prints, which belonged to kids who came to kidnap Jonelle, were found in the backyard of the home. Kevin Schneider: He couldn't take his dad. The next step in the investigation was gathering the evidence Olson collected to present to the the Weld District Attorneys Office. On top of this information, Viorst has constructed an argument that Drake was interested in young girls. | On January 8, 2022 09:21 PM. DA MICHAEL ROURKE: The evidence in this case will prove that the defendant is guilty of murder in the first degree and second-degree kidnapping. Alleged Chinese spy, Christine Lee's son worked for MP Barry Gardiner and they are not related biologically. Richard Schlesinger: Do you believe that he was a threat to children in that church? In the matter of the burning car, Pankey allegedly told Hicks he knew the car was going to catch on fire, so he moved it to the back property. he's a firm adherent to the Ten Commandments, which include thou shalt not kill. Pankey said he had a bad relationship with Greeley authorities afterward. Mayor John Gates: It's not to me, ah, Richard. On Dec. 20, 1984, 12-year-old Jonelle Matthews went missing from her Greeley home after singing in a school choir concert. When Pankey was near the urn, Sakulenzki recalled he said something, but she didnt remember the exact words he used. The 71-year-old was a person of interest in the case over the course of three decades. Deanna Ross: As a community, it rocked Greeley. Hicks testified to Pankey forcing her to cut off communication with her own father, making her stay home with the kids and not letting her drive a car, in addition to other examples of his overbearing nature. The interviewer in the 1989 video of Drake also addressed past comments reportedly made by him, these included that he knew Jonelle and noticed she was maturing. Both were members of the Sunny View Church of the Nazarene and friends to the Matthews family, who had also attended the church. Along with Mark, Barr was unaware of past gun use by Pankey, but said she gave him the old gun recently. BOISE, Idaho Former Idaho gubernatorial candidate Steve Pankey is again claiming he's innocent. "48 Hours" tried to get our own interview with Pankey. Once back in Greeley, she says Pankey drove right past their house, straight to the grocery store, where he made her buy the local papers and search for news about Jonelle. That's when Jonelle went to sing in a school choir concert. I just wanted to not be married to him anymore, she said. Though Jonelle was reported missing in 1984, it wasnt until July 23 of this year that her body was found, according to Greeley police. Pankey might have thought better about running in Twin Falls. She further stated Pankey seems to want the attention.. five days before Christmas, Jonelle disappeared from her home. Defense attorney Anthony Viorst says the case against his client is just a weak and circumstantial collection of strange behaviors. A day before the service, Hicks said, she witnessed a bizarre moment. Steve Packey is currently awaiting trial for her murder. Don't accuse me . But keep in mind, I'm a 26-year law enforcement veteran. I agree with you that it's weird It just makes zero sense. STEVE PANKEY [to KMVT]: I lived in Greeley, Colorado, from 1973 . Richard Schlesinger: What did you think of him? In September 2019, just weeks after discovering the remains of 12-year-old Jonelle Matthews, the case that had been so cold for so long quickly heated up. Steve Pankey was once a candidate for governor of Idaho. Instead, he called a lawyer, according to Olson. I mean . Jim Matthews: Yeah, right out of my garage. He does. Steve Pankey claims that seven days after Jonelle disappeared, his father-in-law a groundskeeper at a Greeley cemetery shared some disturbing information. His sister believed he shouldnt be partaking in the interviews, and his involvement in this case physically bothers her, she said. Anthony Viorst, Pankey's former attorney, says Pankey craves attention but is not a murderer. On December 20, 1984, a 14-year-old girl, Jonelle Mathews was kidnapped from her home in Colorado, never to return. At trial, Viorst told the jury that Pankey was a true-crime junkie. This type of car fire is unusual, according to Andersen. Despite decades of ongoing police work and public interest, Jonelle's case remained cold. Gloria Matthews: We are going to know that she was murdered [crying]. STEVE PANKEY [to KMVT]: It would be in the back of my mind about this case so I called the guy who lived next door I just asked, "did they ever resolve that Jonelle Matthews thing?" But as it turns out, when Jonelle vanished in 1984, Pankey lived in Greeley about two miles from the Matthew home. The other counts were were far more complex than that, in my opinion. Richard Schlesinger: I'm sorry, did you say an exorcism? Her murder went unsolved for 35 years until they found her body in 2019. Around that same time, Steven Pankey, his young son and his wife, who was pregnant with their second son, also left Greeley. The media interviews Pankey did in 2019 was another aspect Barr named when addressing his behavior. ANTHONY VIORST: He lives in a world of conspiracy, paranoia and low self-esteem. STEVE PANKEY ["Unfound" podcast]: She was 23 years old. WebSteve Pankey and Angela Hicks' son, Carl, was murdered in 2008. She responded he had visions of grandeur, and it ran in their family. Please enter valid email address to continue. Her remains were discovered on July 24, 2019, and the trial for her He was surprised when they didnt. His girlfriend severely killed him in 2008 in Phoenix. Richard Schlesinger: Well, at some point, your your name came outta that bucket of bizarre. I never met Jonelle, I never met her family, I didnt know she existed or disappeared until Wednesday, Dec. 26 (1984), Pankey said. The spacious, modern Steve Pankey trial Day 5: Pankeys ex-wife, Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window), Steve Pankey trial Day 5: Pankeys ex-wife calls defense attorney a bully, new evidence introduced, Greeley police shoot, kill armed 24-year-old man Saturday, A bill that would increase pay transparency for Colorados gig drivers is teetering, Denvers affordable housing shortfall a misery shared in cities across the Western Hemisphere, Colorados child care gaps laid bare by pandemic with never-ending wait lists, exorbitant costs, Brought to you by Prairie Mountain Publishing, Windsor announces lineup for Movies in the Park and Summer Concert Series, Andrew Cogliano out for Game 7 with fractured neck after Jordan Eberles hit leaves Avalanche miffed at lack of suspension, Weld RE-1 School District principal named best of the year at middle school level, 'We're doing it for these families': Greeley-Weld Habitat for Humanity celebrates double home dedication, Greeley Stampede set to kick up the dust with additional free concert, Weld and Larimer counties retail food inspection reports, 'Important for all of us': Greeley celebrates Arbor Day with tree-planting, new tree health dashboard, Greeley Kum & Go manager bans Northridge students from entering store without adult, Greeley, Weld County Death Notices for April 21, 2023, Do Not Sell/Share My Personal Information. tennis court line taping machine,

Darnell Williams Chef, St Margaret's Hospital Epping Beech Ward, Countries Banning 5g For Health Reasons, Washu Ervin Finalist, Hwy 83 Delafield Police Incident, Articles S

Copyright ©️ Lemon Studios 2023, All rights reserved.